The Society for the Study of Gloria E. Anzaldúa (SSGA) and the Women’s Studies Institute at the University of Texas at San Antonio presents El Mundo Zurdo: An International Conference on Anzaldúan Thought and Art and Performance. The Conference will be held November 5-7, 2010 in San Antonio, Texas.
The Society for the Study of Gloria E. Anzaldúa seeks submission of proposals for papers, panels of 3-4 papers, roundtables, workshops, or performances for its International Conference on the work and life of Gloria E. Anzaldúa. El Mundo Zurdo seeks to provide a place for scholars, students, and community to come together with the intention of engaging in the continued study of Anzaldúa’s intellectual and spiritual work. We welcome proposals involving all facets of Anzaldúa’s life and work as they pertain to the arts– literary, dramatic, plastic, etc—and performance.
The following tracks are merely suggested conceptual groupings for panel and performance presentations:
• BORDERS—explorations of border theory, borderlands ethos and other concepts of Anzaldúan thought focused on this key concept of her work
• GENDER AND SEXUALITY STUDIES—el mundo zurdo and the atravesados, key to Anzaldúa’s thinking and application of her philosophical work
• EDUCATION—pedagogical concerns surrounding her literary and philosophical works. Some questions that may arise: what are some challenges of teaching Anzaldúa? How does Anzaldúa’s thought apply to teaching?
• INTERNATIONAL AND TRANFRONTERA—The effects of globalization and market economies on culture. What is the status of Anzaldúa studies at the international level?
• SPIRITUALITY—Explorations of Anzaldúa’s spiritual teachings. How can we heal the earth and ourselves?
• ART AND PERFORMANCE—The impact of Anzalduan thought on any of the literary, dramatic, and plastic arts, as well as on performance and performance art.
Proposals must include the following:
• 250-word proposal narrative
• 100-word abstract suitable for publication in the conference program book
• Submissions for Panels must include proposals and abstracts for each paper and the name, address, phone number(s), e-mail address, and institutional affiliation of each participant
• Audio/visual needs
• Contact person’s name, address, phone number(s), e-mail address, and institutional affiliation
All materials must be electronically date-stamped by May 1, 2010 (deadline will be strictly enforced). Proposers will be notified of acceptance in late May.
Questions about the submission process may be sent to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about the conference can be found at http://colfa.utsa.edu/English/mundozurdo.html.